Friday, November 5, 2010

March -May 2010

At the beginning of March 2010 I bought Dexter after several rides.  He had good natural movement but definitely needed more work, especially at the canter.  I was on my own, I live out in the country, with no trailer and no trainer close enough to come work with me.  But that was ok, at the time I didn't think there was anything I couldn't handle. 

Dexter had a really insistent habit of chewing and biting at the bit.  As soon as it was put in his mouth he would go the chewing on it.  I tried all kinds of bits with the same results.  I figured it was nerves from being at a new place and he would get over it.

So we started training,  I knew he was strung out at the canter, so much so that on a curve, his back legs would often slip out from underneath him. So we did a lot of transitions to get his back end in shape.  Walk-Trot-walk-trot-canter-trot-canter-walk... etc.  The problem was he refused to take contact with the bit, his nose was always behind the bit, throwing of his balance in anything we did. 

After a while I took a closer look at his mouth and found he had a wolf tooth.  We got it removed and saw some improvement on his bit chewing, at least at the walk.  He still didn't want to take contact, but I thought maybe he still associated the bit with pain and would get over it after a while.  Plus, to be honest I never dealt with a horse who avoided the bit as bad as Dexter, I had no idea how to fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment