Monday, November 15, 2010

10 - Shoulder Fore & Cadence!

Back in the indoor due to below freezing temperatures.  So it took Dexter a while to relax and get focused.  He doesn't particularly enjoy the indoor, I'm not sure why, he seems more hesitant of the footing and the size (even though it is plenty big enough). 

So we started with a long session of trot getting his top line relaxed.  I've noticed the more Dexter is coming together the more we are working on my position, which is great, I am a bit of a perfectionist and hate the idea that I'm holding my horse back.  So we practice staying back, not posting forward but up and half halting while still riding so he doesn't get confused and think I'm asking for a downward transition (as he so often does).  I have to remind myself to lossen my back and hips.  I've noticed when I do a half halt with my seat my thighs tightened up and forget to relax. 

As we continued at the trot and worked on the half halts to get his hips underneath him, we started to get a more elevated trot.  And trainer said the magic words - "Now we have cadence."  For me that was music to my ears, when I bought Dexter I could see whispers of a beautiful trot and hoped I'd learn how to bring it out of him.  My only wish was that I had the trot on tape so I could match the feeling with the look.

We moved on to the canter work and I was super excited to show Trainer how Dexter had finally figured out how to canter in our practice over the last few weeks.  And going to the left he did great, he kept his nose in, he wasn't rushing, I relaxed my legs and opened my hip and he just flowed along, well a few strides here and there anyways.  There is still some give an take while he figures out exactly what I want.  Going down the long side he didn't stress and his turns were straight ( I know that sounds funny but I mean he didn't swing his hip or shoulders out to avoid the bend).  Going to the right is still a bit of a challenge, we worked on getting Dexter to move independent of my leg aids.  Right now I have to push him every stride, and its my fault in that I thought I had to in the beginning so now he things as soon as I relax and use my seat he can trot.  We had to keep cantering until he stopped breaking when I took my leg off. The rule was I had to ask for a trot, not just let him run into it.  But otherwise he is looking much better.

Then our first real lesson with lateral work (intentionally anyways) - Shoulder-fore!  Dexter was a genius at popping his shoulder out or diving in to avoid work, so we have been on a strictly "no lateral work" diet for a while.  He knows how to leg yield but we needed to retrain him a bit so he only did it when asked.  So we started working on the shoulder-fore at the trot on the circle, I guess he would stress to much doing it on the straight away.  Its hard! We started on the circle then asked him to make a slightly smaller circle but kept him on the larger one with my outside rein and inside leg.  I have to say it was a lot to think about and he only got it about 25% of the time, but I ingrained the feeling, when he did do it right, in my head so hopefully we can recreated it at home.  I was getting frustrated because it felt like he was just making a smaller circle, and I was having to post (because my sitting trot is still sloppy) and I feel like I can't feel everything when I post.  But every now and then I could feel a shift, it felt more like a "haunches-out" instead of a shoulder-fore but I get that in the end it's the same frame. 

Still overall we had some more ah-ha moments in our lesson.  I love that I have such a smart horse (as most horses are.)  I enjoy riding because it challenges me and the horse both mentally and physically so when we work together and find that moment where it all click, its magic.  This is why I ride, and this is why I ride dressage, to reach that ultimate harmony, where I'm doing everything I can to help him do his best and he is working so hard to give me what I'm asking for, and we are doing it together.

No comments:

Post a Comment