Friday, November 5, 2010

June-July 2010

Me and Dexter had made some progress, but mostly in just getting to know each other and adapting to the new environment.  Dexter was used to riding in an indoor, so being out in a field there was lots to look at.

Then we/I hit a major setback.... the ground.  One ride we were out in a field in my makeshift dressage arena and Dexter spooked, it was right after a heavy rain so the ground was slick.  He took off and as we were running I weighed my options, if we turned he would quite possible slip and fall, hurting us both.  His whoa wasn't working, so we just ran towards the fence.  He stopped, I didn't, I fell smack into the mud and as he was sliding around his foot hit my head.... luckily I was wearing a helmet... always wear a helmet.  Other than scared out of my mind we were both fine.  I knew he had been higher energy since he came to his new home and thought it was because he was getting alfalfa, but it didn't bother me as I prefer energy over lazy.  But this was a little too much.  This was my first fall in a long long time and it shook me up.  It took me a while to get back out into the big pasture and even longer to canter again.  Ok maybe a few weeks. 
But I had started to have second thoughts about my new big horse, I was too old to fall and not brave enough to deal with that kind of spunk.  I put him up for sale, for way more than I bought him for.  I didn't really want to get rid of him but needed to think about my options. 

I started looking seriously for a trailer, one big enough for Dexter and affordable (he's 17 hands).  It took a while but we found one that was older but in good shape.  I wanted a trailer so we could start taking lessons.  Dexter was still avoiding the bit, and now the bend and while his canter was in more control all my transitions had convinced him he would never have to canter a full circle so his impulsion was gone... I needed help.

The first trainer we took him to was extremely knowledgeable and well certified.  She had actually worked with Dexter before with his previous owner so already knew kind of what he was about.  She immediately took off my saddle and bridle and put on hers and put all sorts or side reins and driving reins on him and started working him on the ground.  She did some awesome work and got him to start to reach out to the bit.  But I had none of that stuff and would have never been able to recreate what she was doing at home.  There was some good work being done, but not by me and I wanted someone to teach me how to train him so we could continue to work at home, not just at our lessons.   And that's why I consider this lesson #0.

The second trainer was a much better fit and I will go into that on the next post.

I end up not selling Dexter by the way :).

No comments:

Post a Comment